What are we doing on the West Gate Freeway
We are building:
- Four extra lanes between the M80 Ring Road and Williamstown Road
- Entry and exit portals to the West Gate Tunnel
- Ventilation structure at the tunnel exit
- Interchange upgrades at the M80 Ring Road, Millers Road, Grieve Parade and Williamstown Road
- Ramps to Hyde Street to connect trucks directly with local industry
- More than 9km of new noise walls
- New walking and cycling paths
- Pedestrian bridges replacing the existing overpasses
- Freeway Management System to support good traffic flow and safety
- New open spaces and planting thousands of trees and other plants in the freeway area.
Key works in the area
Instructions: Open the accordion feature below to view related information.
We are widening the West Gate Freeway from 8 to 12 lanes. The West Gate Freeway is a critical link in Melbourne’s transport network, carrying 200,000 vehicles each day. We will keep it moving by:
- Keeping the same number of lanes open at peak times
- Only closing lanes when there is less traffic
- Keeping the speed limit at 80km/h at peak times whenever possible
- Providing clear and timely information for drivers
- Working with VicRoads, councils, transport operators and emergency services to plan traffic changes
- Avoiding closures when major events are on in Melbourne.
What are we doing?
The existing power lines on Fogarty Avenue will be relocated or moved underground and new drainage will also be installed. Additional works in the area include sewer replacement and installation of noise wall panels This is part of works to widen the West Gate Freeway.
More details on the works:
- Works started on Fogarty Avenue in July 2018 with construction continuing in the area until 2021, including the West Gate Freeway and Newport Rail Bridge to Williamstown Road. We will update this information closer to completion time
- There will be staged closures of Fogarty Avenue with detours in place. Visit our disruptions page for the latest updates
- Some driveways will temporarily have access blocked. Residents will be notified in advance
- Access to the Footscray Hockey Club and Yarraville Glory Football Club will be maintained at all times
- Bus route 432 will be diverted and selected bus stops will be closed. For more information see Public Transport Victoria’s travel update
- For more details about the current works on Fogarty Avenue, read the fact sheet
- For all work notifications related to works on Fogarty Avenue, head to the Work Notifications page.
Work areas will be located alongside the freeway where they are least likely to cause disruption and will be fenced and screened from view. Innovative construction methods will help reduce disruption, including using cranes to lift beams down from the freeway to reduce disruption at Donald McLean Reserve.
Some electricity towers along the freeway will be moved or replaced with slimmer poles and some power lines moved underground to make space for the widened freeway.
Timing: Set up 2018-2019 and operating until 2022
Construction compounds provide a base for workers, equipment and machinery. The main bases for construction in the West Gate Freeway area are:
- Off the West Gate Freeway / New Street – for freeway widening and tunnel works
- Off Geelong Road – for works around the M80 Ring Road interchange.
We will use best practice techniques at our construction compounds and will:
- Meet all requirements for managing noise, dust and traffic
- Install fencing and screening when compounds are located near to private property
- Give our neighbours advanced notice about what to expect during works
- Reinstate or improve compound areas after construction
- Provide parking for workers to avoid taking up space on local streets.
The Federation Trail is being upgraded and extended to Hyde Street. A section of the trail between Millers Road and the Newport Freight rail line has been closed to complete the upgrade and widen the freeway. The closure will be in place for around four years from 16 July 2018. We have:
- Provided a clearly signed detour route via Kyle Road and Blackshaws Road (see blue line in map below)
- Worked with VicRoads, councils and cycling groups to plan and communicate the detour
- Carried out improvements along the detour to make it safe.
The West Gate Tunnel Project will deliver more than nine kilometres of new and improved noise walls for quieter homes, backyards and parks along the West Gate Freeway. We will:
- Prioritise noise wall construction so residents get the benefit as early as possible
- Leave existing noise walls in place where practical or provide temporary noise walls until new ones are built
- Use high quality materials with acrylic at the top to let light in.
Most of the work will be done during the day however some works will be done at night to minimise travel disruption on our busy roads.
We will do our best to plan works at times when they cause the least inconvenience for residents and motorists.
We will also keep you informed of activities taking place in your local area by:
- Dropping newsletters and works notifications in your letterbox
- Door knocks or street meetings before major works
- News and updates on social media
For more information, contact us on 1800 105 105.
We have a team that is dedicated to working with the community. They are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to answer any questions or concerns.
See the most recent construction notifications.
Download the factsheet Construction overview – West Gate Freeway [PDF, 1.4MB]