As part of works to widen the West Gate Freeway, some high voltage electricity towers near Fogarty Avenue are being replaced with slimmer poles.
To get these works done as safely and quickly as possible, we need to temporarily close the pedestrian overpass that connects Muir Street and Fogarty Avenue.
The overpass will be closed from Friday 29 March until Wednesday 17 April, between 5am and 8pm daily*. It will reopen nightly from 8pm-5am.
There will also be changes to the long-term Federation Trail detour route during these closures.
We understand these closures will affect how you move about your local community, so we’re providing a dedicated courtesy bus service for Wembley Primary School students and their guardians, and a separate bus service for the general public to transport people either side of the freeway while the overpass is closed.
Individual transport will be also available for those with mobility impairment.
Download the factsheet.
General update on Fogarty Avenue staged closures:
As part of the next stage of the ongoing works, Fogarty Avenue will re-close to through traffic between Wembley Avenue and The Avenue from the 7am Thursday 18 April until late August 2019.
After August 2019, this section of road will re-open under traffic management, while works continue along Fogarty Avenue and The Avenue until later this year.
See here for more details.
|Map of works along Fogarty Avenue|
Courtesy bus times
Both buses will provide return services stopping at:
- The Avenue near Muir Street
- Wembley Avenue bus stop
- Wembley Primary School
Wembley Primary School courtesy bus departure times
Monday to Friday 29 March to 5 April 2019
School day morning return service starting at The Avenue near Muir Street
School day afternoon return service starting at Wembley Primary School
1pm on Friday 5 April only
1:30pm on Friday 5 April only
Information for parents
- Parents and guardians are welcome to accompany their children on the bus.
- There is no cost and no bookings are required to use the bus.
- The bus is only available to students, parents, guardians and staff of Wembley Primary School.
- West Gate Tunnel Project staff will be available to assist families and students at the bus pick up locations during departure times.
Public courtesy bus service timetable
29 March to 12 April
*Please note: This service will conclude on Friday 12 April. From Saturday 13 April, project staff will be in place on both sides of the overpass to help direct people via the detour until works are completed until the evening of Wednesday 17 April.
Weekday morning return service departing The Ave near Muir St
Afternoon return service starting at The Ave near Muir St
Saturday return service starting at The Ave near Muir St
*Note times are dependent on traffic.
Changes to the Federation Trail detour route
There will be changes to the long-term diversion of the Federation Trail during times that the overpass is closed. Signage will be in place along the route to alert cyclists of upcoming changes.
The diversion will return to its usual route from 8pm-5am. Please refer to the purple line in the map above.
Cyclist and pedestrian detour via The Avenue, Melbourne Road, and Williamstown Road.
For more information please call 1800 105 105 or email email@example.com
Local traffic changes
During these works, there will also be changed traffic conditions along Fogarty Avenue and The Avenue.
The Footscray Hockey Club and Yarraville Glory Soccer Club will remain accessible during this time.
Tuesday 26 March 6am until Friday 29 March 6am:
- A section of Fogarty Avenue will be closed outside the Footscray Hockey Club and the Yarraville Glory Soccer Club.
- Access to both club car parks is maintained through temporary traffic arrangements along The Avenue (under West Gate Freeway).
|Works map for 26 and 29 March|
Tuesday 26 March 6am until Wednesday 17 April 8pm:
- Fogarty Avenue will be closed to westbound traffic between Wembley Avenue and The Boulevard. Detour via Wembley Avenue and Benbow Street.
|Works map for 29 March - 17 April|
Tuesday 26 March until Wednesday 17 April:
- Temporary traffic arrangements in place along Fogarty Avenue and The Avenue. Access to the Footscray Hockey Club and Yarraville Glory Soccer Club is maintained.