|Bena Street, Yarraville||November 2019||As part of the West Gate Tunnel Project, we are diverting a large water main pipe entrance between 13 November and Tuesday 19 November that runs under the West Gate Freeway to make way for the tunnel entrance. |
These works involve installing a water main valve at the end of Bena Street. During this period, the end of Bena Street, near your property, will be temporarily closed.
Driveway access impacts:
No-driveway access impacts
Night works impacts:
|Millers Road interchange||October 2019 - February 2020||As part of widening the West Gate Freeway, we recently moved the traffic under the freeway bridges on Millers Road to the outer lanes to prepare the centre median area.|
To set up the Millers Road bridges for future use, we will be undertaking strengthening works under the bridges which includes:
- lifting up the bridges to remove and replace the bearings which sit between the bridge deck and the piers. The bearings allow for some bridge movement and reduce stress on the rigid parts of the bridge
- due to the location of the work and the amount of scaffolding required, the shared use path will be protected by a gantry structure with lighting during this time
- widening the beams and installing external steel tensioning strands.
|Beevers Street, Brooklyn||November 2019||We need to close Beevers Street to replace a water main pipe and freeway drainage line that are located across the entrance of the street. The work involves cutting two trenches right across the road. During the night closures:|
- access to and from Beevers Street will be maintained for residents, however there might be a short wait while our team arranges access for your vehicle
- the freeway outbound exit ramp will be closed to allow a safe waiting space for vehicles entering Beevers Street. Please use the Grieve Parade outbound exit ramp during this time.
- pedestrians heading south on the eastern side of Millers Road will be detoured as per the map below. Pedestrians entering Beevers Street will be escorted through the work site.
|Buchanan Road, Brooklyn||November - December 2019||As part of widening the West Gate Freeway, we need to realign the Buchanan Road / Lynch Road corner. From Monday 11 November to Friday 13 December, the road will be fully closed in the area shown on the map below.|
We will also remove two power poles and power lines located near the corner of Buchanan Road. Removing these power lines will not affect power supply to homes in the area.
Strong Street, Spotswood
30 September - early December
|As part of the West Gate Tunnel Project we are diverting a large water main pipe that runs under the West Gate Freeway between the Footscray Hockey Club and Strong Street.|
We will soon begin using specialist equipment to dig and build the new water main pipe under the freeway. These works will be completed during the day and include:
- Site establishment at the end of
- Excavating a section of the road within the construction site, which will include rock breaking
- Retrieving specialist equipment that will dig and build the new water
main under the freeway from the excavated area
- Connecting the new water main pipe to the existing City West Water pipe
- Reinstating the road.
Rosala Avenue & Richards Court, Altona North
16 August - 8 September 2019
As part of widening the West Gate Freeway, we are installing a new walking and cycling overpass connecting Rosala Avenue and Richards Court.
We have finished building the ramp and bridge abutment on the north side of the freeway (near Richards Court) and are now building those features on the southern side (near Rosala Avenue). We have completed piling for the abutments and piers on the south side and are moving onto the remaining work outlined below.
- installation of the scaffold and formwork (a wooden mould) for the overpass abutment is now underway and is expected to be completed by the end of August
- pre-cast beams and panels which support the overpass ramp will be lifted into place using a crane in early September
- construction of the concrete overpass ramp will take place from September until November
- other work in this area, including building the new noise walls, installing freeway drainage and constructing new lanes on the freeway will continue until early 2020.
Fogarty Avenue, Yarraville
31 July 2018 – late December 2019
|Relocating some existing power lines, installing new drainage along Fogarty Avenue, including:|
- using equipment including excavators, jack hammers, compaction equipment and asphalt cutting saw
- staged closures along sections of Fogarty Avenue
- detoured access to Fogarty Avenue. Residents will be advised of any specific individual driveway access impacts
- changes to bus route 432.
- Staged closure - 7 August 2019 update: Fogarty and Wembley Avenue
PDF (148 KB)
- Temporary Closure between Wembley Avenue and Cranbrook Street (29 April - Early July 2019)
- Temporary Closure between Cranbrook Street and Deleware Street (Until 31 May)
- Between Footscray Hockey Club and Strong Street (until 27 March)
- Power line relocation (26 March - 12 April) PDF (595KB)
Freemans Road, Altona North
|From August - September 2019|
The project team will be installing a short section of new, high-quality permanent noise walls in the area.
What you can expect during the construction:
- construction vehicles including piling rigs, excavators, concrete trucks and pumps, earthmoving equipment and cranes will be moving in and out of the work areas
- construction noise from our machinery and trucks will increase at times while we complete piling and excavation works
- dust and dirt will be minimised by using water spray trucks, street sweepers and covering dirt and rock when it’s transported
- main access to the construction site will be via the West Gate Freeway entry gate at the Millers Road outbound entry ramp, with minimal site access required via local roads
- traffic changes including lane, road and ramp closures might be required.
|Monopole and lattice tower installation: |
Italian Social Club, Altona North
Rosala Avenue, Altona North
Houston Court, Brooklyn
|From July - October 2019|
To make way for the widening of the West Gate Freeway, we need to safely relocate some high voltage power lines to three new monopoles, and one new lattice tower. Once these power lines have been relocated, we will remove the two existing lattice towers next to the West Gate Freeway.
These works include:
- Assembling the new monopoles and lattice tower using large cranes and elevated work platforms
- Moving power lines from the existing high voltage towers to the new monopoles and lattice tower, and finally
- Removing the two existing lattice towers.
DOCX (770 KB)
|Paringa Road, Altona North||18 February - August 2019||We are building new retaining walls to allow for widening of the Millers Road outbound entry ramp.||July 2019 update:|
Stage two notifications
Stage one notifications
|Millers Road area||From June-August 2019|
Works are progressing well in the Millers Road area of the West Gate Tunnel project. Recent achievements include completion of piling and retaining walls under the West Gate Freeway on both sides of Millers Road, installation of temporary noise walls along the West Gate Freeway and trenching along Paringa Road to underground some power lines.
Our works over the next few months include:
- ongoing widening of the West Gate Freeway, relocation of utilities, and preparatory works including removing trees, excavating and piling for the new permanent noise walls
- building a new temporary noise wall along part of Paringa Road and then removing the existing wall. This is due to happen in June. We’ll provide more details to residents in the area closer to the time
- intermittent night works and road closures to prepare the two freeway bridges above Millers Road for widening and to temporarily move traffic lights on Millers Road - June to September
- changes to the Millers Road footpath under the West Gate Freeway bridges for short periods while we build the new bridge piers
- boring under the West Gate Freeway at the corner of Paringa Road and Chambers Road and trenching along Waites Court and Primula Avenue for a new gas line. Downer Construction will carry out this work for AusNet and they will communicate directly with impacted residents. Work is expected to begin in June.
|New Street and Watson Street, South Kingsville||From early June 2019|
From early June and over the next few months, you may notice more activity as we commence works to establish our construction site at the end of New and Watson Street, South Kingsville. These works are the construction of the West Gate Tunnel outbound southern portal.
Some of the works taking place within our site include:
- vegetation removal;
- installing buildings and facilities for work crews;
- creating safe access points for the site;
- building internal roads and car parking, and
- relocation of utility services.
What to expect:
- Full road closures and changed traffic conditions at times at the end of Truman, Watson and New Streets (refer to the map for approximate locations) for up to two weeks.
- Traffic management and local detours will be in place for residential access.
- The working hours for these investigations are Monday to Saturday 7am – 6pm.
- Adjacent residents will be kept informed closer to the time around the start of works and if required, any temporary water service interruptions.
- Works include saw cutting, trenching, installing conduits, and asphalting.
|Williamstown Road / West Gate Freeway interchange and Fogarty Avenue||March - May 2019|
Williamstown Road sewer pipe diversion
Melbourne Road compound and end of Cullen Court, Spotswood:
- day works are currently underway which include road excavation and rock breaking.
Traffic island at the Williamstown Road inbound exit ramp:
- over four consecutive weekends starting from Friday 15 March, day and night works at the shaft including rock breaking will occur;
- full closure of the Williamstown Road inbound exit ramp during this time
Reserve at the eastern end of Fogarty
- tree clearing from Wednesday 13 March at the reserve, east end of Fogarty Avenue, prior to construction site set-up; and
- temporary closure of the pedestrian and cycling path in the reserve from Wednesday 13 March with a detour in place.
Williamstown Road inbound exit ramp
These works will include:
- piling along the ramp, to support the new permanent noise wall;
- installing new noise wall panels;
- installing stormwater drains; and
- pavement works to construct new lanes for the ramp.
West Gate Freeway bridge and Williamstown Road
Works to prepare for widening of the bridge over Williamstown Road are continuing, including installing new barriers.
Inbound tunnel entrance
These works will include:
- earthworks including excavation of soil;
- building a platform to establish a safe working area for construction workers; and
- piling, to help form the tunnel entrance.
Fogarty Avenue and West Gate Freeway
These works will include:
- temporary closure of the pedestrian and
cycling path in the reserve from Wednesday 13 March, with a detour in place;
- reinstating the excavated area in the reserve;
- constructing a retaining wall opposite the Footscray Hockey Club;
- trenching works to install the drainage pipe along The Avenue;
- moving some overhead power lines underground;
- piling works to support the new noise wall; and
- earthworks to prepare the area for freeway widening.
Newport Railway bridge and freeway centre median
Work is continuing to widen the Newport
Railway bridge and the freeway.
West Gate Freeway (outbound) between Williamstown Road and The Avenue
Work is continuing to install a permanent
noise wall along the West Gate Freeway
(outbound) between Williamstown Road and
The Avenue.PDF (117KB)
|Cullen Court, Spotswood||7 February - early March 2019|
These works will be completed during the day
- installation of traffic barriers and site
fencing at the end of Cullen Court
- excavating a section of the road
within the construction site, which will
include rock breaking
- retrieving the specialist equipment
(pipe-jack) from the excavated area
- constructing a manhole shaft to allow
future access to the sewer pipe; and
reinstating the road to safely and
securely cover the manhole shaft.
|Beevers Street and Michael Court, Altona North||14 January - March 2019|
Beevers Street and Michael Court closed in three stages to relocate some existing overhead power lines underground. Each stage of works in place for around two and half weeks.
- There will be changes to how properties are accessed at each stage of works
- Footpath access will be maintained on both sides of Beevers Street
- Alternative vehicle parking will be established via a temporary path to the Italian Social Club
- Emergency services vehicles will have access at all times
- Temporary fencing and work site will be set up, including an access track at the end of Beevers Street
- There will be an increase in construction vehicles within the area
- Regular mail from Australia Post will be delivered and rubbish bins will be collected
- Beevers Street utility relocation fact sheet (PDF, 2.10MB)
- Reinstatement works, including full closure of Beevers Steet from Thursday 28 February - Saturday 2 March 2019 (PDF, 431KB) (DOCX, 794KB)
Stage three notifications
Stage two notifications
Stage one notifications
West Gate Freeway between Knapp St and Millers Rd
- Monday 10 December between 4pm –7pm
- Tuesday 11 December between 7am-9am
- Thursday 13 December between 11am-1pm
- Saturday 15 December between 10am-12pm
Community information sessions in your area
We invite you to come along to have a chat about moving overhead services, such as power lines, underground, and the works in your neighbourhood.
From Monday 10 December, you will find us and our West Gate Tunnel Project information van at the carpark behind the 16 Shops in Paringa Road.
PDF (757 KB)
DOCX (317 KB)
MAP (218 KB)
|West Gate Freeway (outbound) between Chambers Road and Grieve Parade||16 November – ongoing||Works to widen the West Gate Freeway between Chambers Road and Grieve Parade and provide new noise walls, including:|
- local road closures (see notification for specific streets)
- waste collection service changes (see notification for specific details)
- roadworks to remove and rebuild road surfaces on the freeway
- general construction activities including earthworks and installing a drainage line
- site establishment works, including investigating utility services
- installation of temporary and new noise walls between Freemans Road and Chambers Road.
|Millers Road / West Gate Freeway interchange||Wednesday 24 October 2018 – March, 2019||West Gate Freeway widening|
These works will include:
- tree removal behind residential properties along sections of Beevers Street and adjacent to the outbound exit ramp from 24 October 2018; and
- construction of retaining walls, bridge structural works including excavations and piling.
Upgrading Millers Rd underneath the freeway
These works will include:
- piling and retaining wall construction on the east side of Millers Road underneath the freeway; and
- utility services upgrade and relocation works around the interchange as night works from late October.
Build temporary and permanent ramps
Current – March 2019
Construction of the Millers Road temporary inbound and outbound exit ramps have started, as well as work to build the permanent inbound entry ramp.
- Please refer to the attached works notification for details on this work
|Kyle Road, Altona North||Thursday 11 October 2018 – 2022||Use of Kyle Road to access construction sites on the West Gate Freeway for the duration of the project’s construction, including:|
- construction vehicles on Kyle Road during standard daily work hours.
- water and spray trucks and street sweepers being used to reduce dust and dirt.
- dirt and rock being covered when it is being transported.
- intermittent traffic changes when major transport deliveries are required.
|Beevers Street, Altona North||Tuesday 2 – Saturday 13 October 2018||Service investigations on Beevers Street, including:|
- scanning for utilities services.
- short term traffic changes.
- drop in information sessions about power line relocation on Thursday 4 and Saturday 6 October.
- Paringa Road, Altona North
- Primula Avenue, Brooklyn
|From 1 October 2018||Vehicle access to Paringa Road from Millers Road will be closed long-term to allow for freeway widening works. Works on Paringa Road will include:|
- Scanning for services.
- Setting up a construction laydown area on the corner of Millers Road and Paringa Road.
- Staged closures of Paringa Road in order to move the 66kV power lines underground.
- Trenching for the 22kV power line works adjacent to the shops on Millers Road.
- Relocating the gas line to Chambers Road and Waites Court.
Works on Paringa Road and Primula Avenue be done to relocate the Telstra telecommunication lines, including:
- Short-term closure of the footpath on the southern side of Primula Avenue at night, with detour in place.
- Overnight closures of Primula Avenue at Millers Road, with detour in place.
- Buchanan Road and nearby Reserve, Brooklyn
- Kyle Road, Altona North
|20 September – mid-2019||Moving 66kV power lines underground, including:|
- Scanning for services.
- Moving sections of the overheard 66kV power lines underground, involving excavations.
Replacing 220kV tower with a monopole, including:
- Pouring the concrete foundation for the new tower.
- Moving the 220kV power line from the existing tower to a new monopole.
|Buchanan Road and nearby reserve:|
|West Gate Freeway (outbound) between Williamstown Road and The Avenue||From 29 May 2018 – ongoing|
- Temporary road closures between Vernier Street and Hick Street, and between Andrews Street and Muir Street.
- Site fencing and access established at the end of the following streets: Abbot Street, Steel Street, Vernier Street, Hick Street, Andrews Street, Muir Street.
- Site establishment works along outbound lanes of West Gate Freeway, including vegetation removal and earthworks.
- Installation of temporary and new noise wall between Vernier Street and Muir Street.
- Relocate existing power lines that currently run along the West Gate Freeway to the reserve near the corner of The Avenue and Strong Street.
Temporary noise wall installation
(21 August 2018):
Installation of new power poles
(25 February 2019):
|Millers Road / West Gate Freeway interchange||From July 2018 – mid-2019||Widening the freeway and upgrading the section of Millers Road under the freeway, including:|
- excavation and eath works
- construction of retaining walls on the freeway ramps and piling
- clearing vegetation and trees
- installation of a temporary noise wall
- removal of an existing section of noise wall
- setting up traffic barriers beneath the freeway
- temporary footpath closure
- utility service investigations
- site compound establishment
- Federation Trail closure
- general construction.
|West Gate Freeway, between Williamstown Road and M80 interchange, in both directions||Sunday 15 July to Thursday 19 July 2018, 10pm – 5am, nightly; and, if required, Monday 23 July and Tuesday 24 July 2018, 10pm – 5am, nightly||Removal of overhead sign gantries and lighting structures, including:|
- removing overhead sign gantries
- removing existing light poles and installing temporary ones
- clearing vegetation and trees along the freeway
- earthworks, including removing dirt
- general construction.
|Williamstown Road, under West Gate Freeway||12 June – late July||Upgrading Williamstown Road under the West Gate Freeway, including:|
- modifications to traffic signals, ramp signals and CCTV
- removing traffic islands and installing temporary ones
- earthworks and vegetation removal
- general construction, asphalt construction and kerbing works
- reinstating the road surface once works are completed.
|West Gate Freeway: Williamstown Road inbound exit ramp||From 29 May – ongoing|
- Works along both sides of the West Gate Freeway between The Avenue and Williamstown Road, including vegetation removal and installing temporary fencing.
- Installation of temporary and new noise wall along Williamstown Road inbound exit ramp.
|Millers Road / West Gate Freeway interchange||20 May – June 2018||Work starting around the Millers Road / West Gate Freeway interchange, in preparation for the widening of the freeway and upgrading Millers Road:|
- Setting up temporary safety barriers on the outbound exit and entry ramps
- Removing traffic islands and installing temporary ones
- Ongoing general construction including earth works, kerb removal, site protection and traffic changes
- Identifying utilities in the area
- Installing high voltage electric conduit underground along Paringa Road and Beevers Street and under Millers Road and the West Gate Freeway
- Setting up Millers Road site office
|Whitehall Street and Hyde Street, Yarraville and Footscray||May and June 2018||Day and night works as we prepare to divert a section of the North Yarra Main Sewer. Works include:|
- Relocation of water, gas and electricity services on Whitehall Street
- Intersection upgrades at Youell Street, Somerville Road and Leek Street
- Project investigations on Hyde Street and Harris Street next to Yarraville Gardens
|Williamstown Road, Yarraville and Spotswood||12 May – December 2018||Building a new inbound exit ramp and upgrading Williamstown Road, and establishing a construction site on Melbourne Road.|
|West Gate Freeway precinct||From March 2018||Building a temporary inbound exit ramp at Williamstown Road, widening the West Gate Freeway, continuing site investigations|
|West Gate Freeway, between Wembley Ave and Williamstown Road||From February 2018||Establishing work site, building a temporary exit ramp, roadworks and project investigations|