As construction continues on the West Gate Tunnel Project, bike detours will be in place in some areas.
The project is a massive job and we’re working with VicRoads, local councils and Bicycle Network Victoria to implement safe, viable and clear alternatives for cyclists.
Plan your journey
To help plan your journey, you can find the latest updates for temporary and long-term disruptions on our travel disruptions map. New notifications are published daily, so make sure to check back regularly.
Key changes for cyclists
- The Federation Trail will be closed between Millers Road and the Newport Freight Line.
- A detour will be in place via Kyle Road and Blackshaws Road (see blue line in map below).
- The closure will be in place for approximately four years from 16 July 2018.
- This is so we can widen the West Gate Freeway and upgrade nearby cycling and walking paths.
- Follow these signs:
- There will be changes for cyclists and motorists on Whitehall Street, between Leek Street and Parker Street.
- Cyclists will be detoured along the Hyde Street shared use path (see pink line in map below).
- The changes will be in place for around 12 months from July 2018.
- This is so we can divert the North Yarra Main Sewer at worksites located on Whitehall Street.
- The shared use path will be shifted onto a temporary rubber surface from early September (see orange line in map below).
- There will be signs on the path showing you where to go.
- The temporary path will follow the same route as the existing path, with full cyclist and pedestrian access maintained at all times.
- Concrete barriers will separate cyclists from construction activities (see diagram below).
- The new permanent path will take a couple of months to build.
- Once complete, you will be redirected to the new path.
- There will be changes to the Dynon Road path, which will be upgraded.
- More details will be provided before works begin.
Other paths and trails
There will be occasional planned disruptions to other paths and trails, including the Kororoit Creek Trail, Moonee Ponds Creek Trail and Capital City Trail, as well as local paths. For the latest updates about temporary disruptions, see our travel disruptions map.
Building better and safer cycling paths
A major focus of the West Gate Tunnel Project is making it easier and safer for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians to get around Melbourne.
We will deliver over 14 kilometres of new and upgraded cycling and walking paths, including:
- Completing missing links in the Federation Trail and the Kororoit Creek Trail.
- A new 2.5 km elevated veloway that will give cyclists a safe and express route to and from the city.
- New links to connect suburbs, parks and waterways, and popular trails.
- New and better bridges for cyclists and pedestrians, including a bridge over Footscray Road near Costco.
Who we're talking to
- We notify cyclists about all changes in advance by providing information on this webpage, our travel disruptions map, social media (see our Facebook and Twitter pages), and via handouts, signposts and VMS boards next to affected cycling paths.
- Detours are chosen in consultation with VicRoads, local councils and Bicycle Network Victoria, to ensure they are safe, viable and clearly signposted.
- If you have feedback about a detour or have any questions, please call us on 1800 105 105 or email email@example.com
- See the full list of upgrades and new paths we’re delivering.