The West Gate Tunnel Project will mean less congestion and more reliable travel times between Melbourne’s west and the city.
Right now, it’s not unusual to experience bumper-to-bumper traffic on the West Gate Freeway or incidents that bring traffic to a stand-still. An incident on the West Gate Bridge can triple travel times for motorists.
The project will provide a vital second river crossing, provide quicker and safer journeys and remove thousands of trucks off the West Gate Bridge.
- Four more lanes on the West Gate Freeway between the M80 and the West Gate Bridge
- Three express lanes in each direction – M80 to West Gate Bridge
- Twin tunnels and a second river crossing providing an alternative to the West Gate Bridge and new connections to the city’s north
- Smart technology linking with other freeway systems across the city to manage traffic flow and incidents and display travel information
- Better access to Melbourne to support Geelong’s growth
- More reliable and quicker trips
- Less congestion with traffic better distributed across two routes
- A safer road designed to reduce crashes
- Greater flexibility with new route choices and more information
For more information download