18 September 2020
Work is continuing safely on Victoria’s Big Build, our biggest transport upgrade ever.
Construction on large-scale public infrastructure projects is critical and is continuing with strict COVIDsafe Plans in place on all project sites across Victoria.
The health and safety of our workforce and community remains our top priority. Workers on all of Victoria’s Big Build sites are required to wear face coverings unless they meet any of the criteria for exception – such as a medical condition or for Occupational Health and Safety guidelines.
Physical distancing measures are in place as well as increased hygiene practices.
First step restrictions – Metropolitan Melbourne
Under the current First Step restrictions in Metro Melbourne there are only four reasons to leave your home.
- Permitted work
- Shopping for supplies
- Care and health care.
There is also a curfew implemented across Melbourne from 9pm to 5am.
During these hours you can only leave home for one of the permitted reasons:
- Essential health care and care
- Safety reasons.
Third Step restrictions summary – regional Victoria
Regional Victoria has reached the Third Step as part of the roadmap to reopening. There are no restrictions on the reasons for leaving home or distances travelled, although you can’t travel into areas with higher restrictions without a permit.
Information for those who need to travel
When using public transport or replacement buses for essential reasons:
- Everyone must wear a mask, unless an exemption applies.
- Extra cleaning is being carried out on all bus replacement services to keep passengers and staff safe. All services, stops and stations are being disinfected and sanitised every day.
- Commuters are being asked to practise good hygiene while using public transport. Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you travel. Sneeze or cough into a tissue, or the inside of your elbow. If you are unwell, stay at home.
- Passengers are being reminded to keep their distance where they can, and try travelling outside peak times when less people are using the network. When using escalators, try to stand four steps away from the person in front and avoid walking up or down.
For more information and advice about the coronavirus (COVID-19), please visit coronavirus.vic.gov.au.