6 August 2020
Work is continuing safely on Victoria’s Big Build, our biggest transport upgrade ever.
Construction on large-scale public infrastructure projects has been deemed critical under Stage four restrictions, so works will continue, with strict health and safety protocols in place.
Workforce numbers have already been significantly reduced to support directions from the Chief Health Officer.
The health and safety of our workforce and community remains our top priority. Under new restrictions workers on all of Victoria’s Big Build sites are required to wear face coverings unless they meet any of the criteria for exception such as a medical condition or for OH&S guidelines.
Physical distancing measures are in place as well as increased hygiene practices.
Under Stage four restrictions in Melbourne and Stage three restriction in regional Victoria, there is only four reasons to leave your home.
- Permitted work
- Shopping for supplies
- Care and health care.
There is also a curfew implemented across Melbourne from 8pm to 5am. During these hours you can only leave home for one of the permitted reasons:
- Essential health care and care
- Safety reasons.
When using public transport or replacement buses for essential reasons:
- Everyone must wear a mask, unless an exemption applies.
- Extra cleaning is being carried out on all bus replacement services to keep passengers and staff safe. All services, stops and stations are being disinfected and sanitised every day.
- Commuters are being asked to practice good hygiene while using public transport. Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you travel. Sneeze or cough into a tissue, or the inside of your elbow. If you are unwell, stay at home.
- Passengers are being reminded to keep their distance where they can and try travelling outside peak times when less people are using the network. When using escalators, try to stand four steps away from the person in front and avoid walking up or down.
For more information and advice about the coronavirus (COVID-19), please visit coronavirus.vic.gov.au