24 January 2020
Crews have been busy working around the clock as part of the West Gate Tunnel Project’s summer construction works as we widen the West Gate Freeway from 8 to 12 lanes.
- rebuilding and changing the alignment of ramps that go over the West Gate Freeway at the M80 Ring Road interchange and building a new bridge to allow space to add extra lanes
- Rebuild the outbound entry and exit ramps at Millers Road to make them smoother and stronger and placing more barriers so that we can continue the freeway widening works during 2020.
So far, we have completed:
- Excavating the existing road surface to rebuild the new pavement on the inbound ramp from M80 Ring Road to West Gate Freeway
- Approximately 30 piles have been driven that form part of the foundation of a new bridge at the M80 Ring Road interchange. This bridge will go over future new lanes on the West Gate Freeway.
- Excavation for a new road and wall for the entry ramp from Geelong Road to Princes Freeway
- Excavating the existing road surface to widen the outbound entry and exit ramps at the Millers Road interchange
- Excavation to widen the West Gate Freeway outbound at Grieves Parade.
Upcoming works and continuing closures
Crews will work to complete utility relocations such as power and water, building new pavement on the ramps at the M80 Ring Road and Millers Road interchanges and widening the West Gate Freeway outbound at Grieves Parade to provide space for future widening works.
The following 24/7 road closures are still in place so that crews can work as quickly and safely as possible:
- 13 Jan to 17 Feb - Millers road outbound entry and exit ramps to West Gate Freeway closed
- 13 Jan – 28 Feb - Geelong Road to Princes Freeway outbound ramp closed
- 13 Jan – 16 Feb - M80 Ring Road to West Gate Freeway inbound ramp closed.
Drivers are encouraged to plan ahead and allow extra travel time. For more information on road closures including detours visit bigbuild.vic.gov.au
We want to thank you for your patience during these works and for driving with care through our construction zones.