Help name two new walking and cycling bridges that will help safely connect people of the inner west for generations.
As part of the West Gate Tunnel Project, we are widening the West Gate Freeway and have replaced two older pedestrian bridges with modern overpasses that improve access for all members of the community.
The two new bridges are:
- a walking and cycling bridge connecting Muir Street, Spotswood and Fogarty Avenue, Yarraville
- a walking and cycling bridge linking Rosala Avenue, Altona North and Richards Court, Brooklyn.
We want Melbourne's inner west community to help name the bridges. The names should reflect the spirit of the inner west community, such as honouring a significant historical person or event, referencing local plants, wildlife, or geographical features, or even highlighting the diversity of past inhabitants, cultures, or activities in the area.
| || |
If your name is chosen, you will win:
- VIP invitation to the bridge naming community open day
- a $100 voucher for an inner west business in our trader directory
- and an exclusive behind the scenes project experience.
- One entry per bridge per person
- Names suggested must comply with the Office of Geographical Names criteria listed below.
- Names entered:
- Must be relevant to the local area and community and not be used for another feature in the west
- Must not discriminate
- Must avoid names of living people
- Must avoid using commercial and business names
- Must be written in English or recognised format of an Aboriginal language
- Should be easy to pronounce, spell and write and must not exceed three words
- Must avoid using directions in names i.e. north, south, east and west
- Must only use the surname of a person who is being commemorated and initials should not be used.
- Must not be discriminatory
- Explain in 25 words or less why you chose the name and how it’s important to the inner west
- All entrants must agree to the Terms and Conditions.
Entries will be shortlisted and a selection panel will choose the final names, which will be announced at a community open day.
Competition closes 30 May 2021.
Did you know bridge names are important for community safety, as they help emergency services pinpoint locations more easily?
Use of information collected
Please refer to the Privacy Collection Statement for information detailing what information we collect, how we use it and your rights in relation to your personal information.