As construction continues on the West Gate Tunnel Project, bike detours will be in place in some areas. The project is a massive job and we’re working with VicRoads, local councils and Bicycle Network Victoria to implement safe, viable and clear alternatives for cyclists.
Plan your journey
To help plan your journey, you can find the latest updates for temporary and long-term disruptions on our travel disruptions map. New notifications are published daily, so make sure to check back regularly.
Key changes for cyclists
- The Federation Trail will be closed between Millers Road and the Newport Freight Line.
- A detour will be in place via Kyle Road and Blackshaws Road (see blue line in map below).
- The closure will be in place for approximately four years from 16 July 2018.
- This is so we can widen the West Gate Freeway and upgrade nearby cycling and walking paths.
- Follow these signs:
Kororoit Creek Trail
- The Kororoit Creek Trail is closed under the West Gate Freeway.
- The closure will be in place until February 2021.
- Cyclists and pedestrians can detour via the existing footpath on the east side of Grieve Parade.
- The closure is so we can complete works on the West Gate Freeway.
Moonee Ponds Creek Trail
- Changes to the Moonee Ponds Creek Trail near Dynon Road.
- Temporary pontoons divert trail over Dynon Road and back onto the trail.
- Sections of the new permanent concrete path on the south side of Footscray Road are open.
- Construction will soon begin on the elevated structure above Footscray Road.
- The new 2.5km veloway will be built after the elevated structure is complete.
- There will be changes to the Dynon Road path, which will be upgraded.
- More details will be provided before works begin.
Other paths and trails
There will be occasional planned disruptions to other paths and trails as well as local paths. For the latest updates about temporary disruptions, see our travel map.
Building better and safer cycling paths
A major focus of the West Gate Tunnel Project is making it easier and safer for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians to get around Melbourne.
We will deliver over 14 kilometres of new and upgraded cycling and walking paths, including:
- Completing missing links in the Federation Trail and the Kororoit Creek Trail.
- A new 2.5 km elevated veloway that will give cyclists a safe and express route to and from the city.
- New links to connect suburbs, parks and waterways, and popular trails.
- New and better bridges for cyclists and pedestrians, including a bridge over Footscray Road near Costco.
Who we're talking to
- We notify cyclists about all changes in advance by providing information on this webpage, our travel disruptions map, social media (see our Facebook and Twitter pages), and via handouts, signposts and VMS boards next to affected cycling paths.
- Detours are chosen in consultation with VicRoads, local councils and Bicycle Network Victoria, to ensure they are safe, viable and clearly signposted.
- If you have feedback about a detour or have any questions, please call us on 1800 105 105 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- See the full list of upgrades and new paths we’re delivering.